Landlords Need A Gas Safety Certificate

While there are many challenges associated with being a landlord, meeting the legal requirements and duties of the role is one of the most important aspects of the role. This is not an area where you can plead ignorance or get away with overlooking an item because you are new to the role. If you are going to act as a landlord, you are expected to meet all of the requirements and regulations that are associated with the role, and this means ensuring that you meet all of the needs and regulations, including gas safety regulations.

The law, as stated in the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations of 1998, states that it is the responsibility to have a gas safety certificate every 12 months. This must be obtained from an engineer that is Gas Safety registered. This certificate must apply to all of the pipe work, gas appliances and flues that are installed at your property.Landlords Need Gas Safety Certificate

Take responsibility for your gas safety certificate
A landlord that has responsibility for the property will need to arrange this themselves but if you are hiring the services of a property management company, you should ensure that they are keeping up to date with this requirement. It is important that you check your agreement to see who ultimately holds responsibility for ensuring that a gas certificate is in place for a property. A lot of problems have arisen because people have assumed that the other party was taking care of business. As stated already, ignorance is no defence so make sure that you check your agreements and make sure you know who is responsible for hiring a registered gas engineer to carry out the work involved in obtaining a gas safety certificate.

At Cenultra, we can provide registered gas engineers to ensure that you and your home are up to date with all legal requirements. We have a good understanding of the legal requirements people have for gas work and fittings, so if you need any assistance in knowing what you need to do, get in touch and we will be happy to help.

It is important to retain all copies of paper work relating to the certificate and you will need to hold on to the record of the inspection for a two year period. A landlord is legally required to provide their tenant with 28 days’ notice of an inspection, so if you want to be prepared in advance, get in touch with Cenultra as early as you can, and we will make sure that you are complying with all of the legal requirements associated with this matter.

Apply good practice when caring for your property
While you only need to have a gas safety inspection carried out every 12 months, it is good practice to have your gas appliances tested in between old tenants moving out and new tenants moving in. Depending on how frequently this happens, you may decide against it but there is a lot to be said for starting each new tenancy with a fresh slate with everything in good working order.
It is also of benefit to be able to present a new tenant with up to date paperwork stating that your property is up to the highest possible standard. In fact, if you obtain this service when a tenant moves out, details of your safety certificate can form part of your promotional pitch to potential tenants. Safety is very important and if you can indicate your property is safe, you are likely to receive more interest.

Another related step you can take to improve the service for your tenants, and helping to ensure that your home is properly looked after, is to install a Carbon Monoxide (CO) alarm. This is something that the HSE recommends and for many landlords, the peace of mind that comes from taking precautions like this will help to ensure you feel happy and comfortable in your role.
While the legal requirement behind obtaining a gas certificate ensures the need to get one, it is something that will be of benefit to landlords and their tenants. Owning a property is an investment and anything which helps to keep that investment safe and secure for many years to come can be seen as being money well spent. Hiring a registered gas engineer from Cenultra ensures that you receive a great value for money service and an all-important gas certificate that will provide you with the confidence you need to ensure you look after your property and tenants.

Write a Comment