Do I Need An Electrical Safety Certificate When Selling A House or A Flat?

There is no legal duty to provide a buyer with any electrical safety certificate when selling a home or a flat. It might make the selling process easier but it is not a legal requirement in the UK. If you were a property manager or a landlord, legally you would be responsible for the electrical safety of your tenants in relation to electrical safety and would need to ensure that an electrical safety check was carried out and keep a record of that check.

If you are selling a home or a flat then if the buyer wants to perform a test that is for their own assurance.

Get an electrical safety certificate from £110.

Who may ask you to supply an electrical safety certificate?

1. When you are selling a house, your solicitor may ask you to complete a residential or commercial property information form, which includes a part associating with the electrical system.
2. If you are selling or renting your home or commercial property via a reliable representative or agent, you will always be asked to provide an electrical safety certificate. The majority of estate agencies or letting agents will choose not to let your home without one. And it is now basic practice to get electrical test certificates before proceeding with a purchase. Electrical safety certification is the most reliable method to ensure that a home is safe from an electrical perspective.
3. The potential buyer might ask you to provide one.

What is an electrical certificate?

It is a report and the official name for this report is electrical installation condition report (EICR) however but known as an electrical safety certificate. EICR will show the condition of the electrical safety in a residential or commercial property and checks the safety of the electrical installations. This kind of electrical testing is performed every five years in a commercial property and a domestic residential but this does depend on the age and condition of the installation that is being tested.

an electrical safety certificate when selling a house or a commercial property

Electrical certificate for a House of Multiple Occupancy:

If you are a landlord and your rental property is a house in multiple occupations such as a student home, then it’s important by law that you have a periodic electrical inspection every five years performed by a registered electrician. A result of this is the Electrical Installation Condition Report which you can keep as a record of proof of the inspection and it gives information on any remedial work which may require carrying out.

What is an electrical safety certificate?

Do you need to learn what an electrical safety certificate is? Well, you remain in the ideal location. Our expert described here about An electrical safety certificate.

What is an electrical safety certificate?

An electrical safety certificate is officially called an Electrical Installation Condition Report (Formally referred to as a Periodic Inspection Certificate for an Electrical Installation). So it’s a report or record containing of detailed technical data and information about the electrical wiring in your property.

We can say an electrical safety certificate is similar to a vehicle’s MOT, an Electrical Installation Condition Report shows the condition of your electrical wiring and gives you a clear, concise, safety resolution (Satisfactory or Unsatisfactory) along with a summary of the general condition. In addition, the report also reveals any problems identified and tells you how dangerous they may be.

What does an Electrical safety certificate contain? But not restricted to:

  • Full Details of the client or person ordering the work
  • Reason for producing this report
  • Details of the electrical installation which is the subject of this report
  • Descriptions of premises ( eg residential or commercial)
  • Estimated age of the wiring system
  • Date of the last inspection ( If known)
  • Extent and limitations of inspection and testing
  • Summary of the condition of the installation ( e.g., satisfactory or unsatisfactory)
  • Alternative source of supply details
  • Further recommendations
  • Engineer’s or company details ( name, address and signatures)
  • Schedules of inspection and test results.
  • Earthing arrangements
  • Details of Nature supply parameters
  • Particulars of installation
  • Details of earthing conductors
  • Information of Main switch
  • List of observations
  • Details of Distribution board
  • Inspection schedule for a distribution board installation
  • List of circuits and/or installed equipment are vulnerable to damage when testing and /or remarks.
  • Condition report guidance for recipients.

Landlords and homeowners Electrical Safety check includes, but not limited to:

Continuity of protective conductors including main and supplementary equipotential bonding.

Continuity of ring final circuit conductors

Insulation Resistance


Earth electrode resistance if an earth electrode is used

Earth fault loop impedance

Check of phase sequence ( If applicable )

Functional testing

Verification of voltage drop

Correct operation of switches and isolators

What is an electrical safety certificate and condition report?

Landlords responsibilities:

It is the duty of every landlord to make sure that the home that they are renting is suitable for the purpose for which it is expected. This includes the fixed electrical wiring.

The electrical reports are needed at each change of tenancy. This is to validate that the previous occupant has not damaged or changed the electrical system in any way.

The current regulations of the IEE electrical wiring regulations BS 7671. It states that every electrical system will be assessed before being brought into service and have an electrical safety certificate issued.

If you are unfortunate enough to have a problem of an electrical nature while your property is being rented, you may be liable. It will depend on you to show that the electrical installation was fit for service at the time of renting. Your up to date electrical certificate will ensure that you can do this.

Homeowner electrical inspections:

Electrical testing is often neglected by homeowners and landlords alike– despite the fact that domestic electrical appliances are often more inexpensively produced and more regularly used than their commercial counterparts. In fact, dangerous electrical installations cause more than 700 severe accidents and 12000 fires in British Property every year.

Hope this article helped you to know about an electrical safety certificate. If you like our article what an electrical safety certificate is, why not check our article for the electrical certificate requirements.

A list of Landlord Associations and which is the best?

Are you thinking of becoming a landlord? If so, do you know what you need to do? Do you have any idea as to what responsibilities you will have to deal with? Do you know anything about tenancy agreements and everything that the law dictates regarding the whole rental industry?

These questions are just a few that you need to answer before you start your journey towards becoming a landlord. Of course, you must have done your homework, if you have already decided to let your property for other people to use.

Let the Industry Experts help you

There is no better way to test the waters than with the guidance of the experts. For landlords, those experts are the people behind the landlord associations. This means that it is important for you to see a list of landlord associations and find out which is the best among them.

Joining an association is a vital factor to be taken into consideration if you are aspiring to be a successful landlord. The reason this is a vital factor is because if you suddenly get into a tricky situation with your tenant(s) and you have no idea how to handle it, the experts in your association can provide you with the help needed and the best possible solutions.

These people have been there and done that, so to speak. They have years of experience in dealing with every potential issue that you could face in the industry. They are not perfect landlords, just experienced ones. They have been learned their lessons from their years worth of experience. They are now in the position to help other landlords deal with issues that usually crop up in the course of the business.

Here are some of the best landlord associations in the UK:


Landlord Associations

Which one is the best? You should find the answer to this by learning more about each one of them, but first, you have to have a full understanding of the benefits of joining one of them.

It is recommended to join such associations because they offer guidance, advice and easy access to documents and information needed for the rental process. They can provide you with legal documents that you need to study and use, general information on being a landlord is also available on their websites. Basically, all your questions regarding the whole business can be answered effectively by each one of those associations.

The people behind the associations have the kind of expertise that most new landlords need. Those running the associations have the goal to make sure that every landlord on their membership is protected from potential rental disasters. New Landlords can expect full support from these associations. They will be guided accordingly, from the time they join, to the time when troubles start to spark up, and up to the time when solutions have succeeded.

Simply put, being a member of one of the associations is like being a part of brotherhood. Everyone is looking out for the interest of another.

Find our more about: how to become a landlord?

Why not get a gas safety certificate from Cenultra to meet one of the landlord’s responsibilities.

Do I need an electrical safety certificate?

Do you need to know if you need an electrical safety certificate?” Well, you are in the right place, here our expert explained if you need an electrical safety certificate? Find our more below:

Do I need an electrical safety certificate?

Yes, you do. Electrical wiring system and the associated accessories (e.g. sockets,light fittings and fuse boards) deteriorate due to wear & tear, age and this can lead to a risk of potentially fatal electric shock or fire. Only An electrical safety certificate inspections ( formally known as periodic inspection) help you find if you have any issues and it is recommended every 3- 5 years for private homes, and more frequently for rented homes.

Find out more below who needs an electrical safety certificate:

Landlord – Landlords are required by law to ensure that the electrical system in a rented property is safe when new tenants move in and maintained in a safe condition throughout its duration. Most professional lettings agents also require an electrical safety certificate before they put your property on the market. By having an up to date Electrical Condition Report, you can prove that you have taken your tenants safety seriously.
Home buyer – make sure the electrical system in your new home are safe. Most house buying surveys do not include the electrical installation report. You should arrange to carry out an electrical inspection before you complete your purchase, helping you to avoid any unforeseen future costs

Local council – Most Local Councils require an electrical safety certificate for a licensing. They will only accept Electrical Certificates that have been signed off by a fully qualified and registered engineer.

Flood or Fire – If your property has encountered major damage it is wise to get the electrical wiring system checked and the results accurately recorded.

Building Insurance – You would need an electrical inspection certificate for your insurance company and your property insurance may not cover you without a valid electrical safety certificate.

if you need an electrical safety certificate?

Objectives of a condition report or electrical safety certificate are to:

√  Record the outcomes of the electrical inspection and testing to ensure the electrical installation is safe to be used for until the next test (following any work needed to make it safe).

√  The testing will show if any parts or circuits of the installation are overloaded, identify if any parts of the electrical installation are at risk of shock and/or fire risk hazard. The electrical report will also reveal whether there is any defective DIY work which will need attention or if there is any lack of earth bonding.

√  Help Finding any parts of the electrical installation system that do not fulfill the IET Wiring Regulations.

Hope this article has helped you learn more about if you need an electrical installation condition report ( known as an electrical certificate but formally known as periodic electrical inspection ). Please read our article for electrical certificate details.

Do I need a gas safety certificate when selling a house or a flat?

As a Vendor, You are is not required to supply a gas safety certificate when selling a house or a flat. If you were a landlord, you would be liable for the safety of your tenants in relation to gas safety and would have to ensure that an annual gas safety inspection was carried out and keep a record of that check.

Of course, if the buyer wants to pull out if such a certificate is not supplied, then you might decide to get a gas safety certificate when selling a house.

By law under the gas safety installation and use Laws 1998, it’s the landlord’s duty to obtain a gas certificate every 12 months. The landlord needs to purchase this from a registered Gas Safe Engineer for all gas pipework, appliances and flues installed at your property. All tenants have a right to see the gas certificate before they move into a property.

When you are selling a house, your solicitor may ask you to finish a property information form, which includes a part relating to the central heating system.

If you are preparing to sell a house or a flat, you should make sure that you are handing over a completely safe house to your customer. This involves in the preparation of a gas safety certificate. This means that you, as a seller, are completely recommending your home to be ideal for a safe living while using the gas appliances.

gas safety certificate selling a house

Do I require a gas safety certificate when selling any residential property?

As we stated above, you are not obliged by law to offer the buyer with a Gas Safety Certificate. You have an obligation to provide a Gas Safety Certificate if you intend to let the property and should do this each year.

Summary: There is no legal requirement to supply a buyer with any certificates for the gas. It might make the selling procedure much easier but it’s not a legal requirement in the UK. It’s different for a domestic property manager or a landlord letting out a property and a gas safety certificate is needed. There is also a legal requirement that any gas work in any home is done by a registered Gas Safe engineer.

Learn more about a gas safety certificate .