Do I need a gas safety certificate when selling a house or a flat?

As a Vendor, You are is not required to supply a gas safety certificate when selling a house or a flat. If you were a landlord, you would be liable for the safety of your tenants in relation to gas safety and would have to ensure that an annual gas safety inspection was carried out and keep a record of that check.

Of course, if the buyer wants to pull out if such a certificate is not supplied, then you might decide to get a gas safety certificate when selling a house.

By law under the gas safety installation and use Laws 1998, it’s the landlord’s duty to obtain a gas certificate every 12 months. The landlord needs to purchase this from a registered Gas Safe Engineer for all gas pipework, appliances and flues installed at your property. All tenants have a right to see the gas certificate before they move into a property.

When you are selling a house, your solicitor may ask you to finish a property information form, which includes a part relating to the central heating system.

If you are preparing to sell a house or a flat, you should make sure that you are handing over a completely safe house to your customer. This involves in the preparation of a gas safety certificate. This means that you, as a seller, are completely recommending your home to be ideal for a safe living while using the gas appliances.

gas safety certificate selling a house

Do I require a gas safety certificate when selling any residential property?

As we stated above, you are not obliged by law to offer the buyer with a Gas Safety Certificate. You have an obligation to provide a Gas Safety Certificate if you intend to let the property and should do this each year.

Summary: There is no legal requirement to supply a buyer with any certificates for the gas. It might make the selling procedure much easier but it’s not a legal requirement in the UK. It’s different for a domestic property manager or a landlord letting out a property and a gas safety certificate is needed. There is also a legal requirement that any gas work in any home is done by a registered Gas Safe engineer.

Learn more about a gas safety certificate .

Gas Safety Certificates & Records Explained

Do you want to find out what a landlord’s gas safety certificate is? Well, you are in the right place, our expert described here to help you learn about it.

What is a gas safety certificate?

The gas safety certificate is a proof a gas engineer leaves after having serviced, fitted or safety checked is dependent upon the function and type of work carried out. The gas safety certificate is a legal requirement for every rentals properties in the United Kingdom where gas appliances remain in usage or present and the only documentation required by law is a Landlord Gas Safety Record.

Gas safety records or gas safety certificates sometimes referred to or known as a CP12 (From CORGI Proforma 12 ). CORGI scheme was a previous UK body for gas safety but in 2009 the Gas Safe Register which took over from the CORGI scheme.

what is a gas safety certificate?

Keeping records:

As a Landlord, you will need to keep a record of the safety inspection for 2 years. A gas safety certificate is your evidence that your appliances have actually been checked for safety. From a legal viewpoint it is vital to keep records of essential checks like this– should anything go wrong with a gas appliance and a gas system, you will have proof that you were ensured it’s performance and safety. Most importantly, it’s your record that your appliances are safe to use.

What you’ll get with a Gas Safety Certificate:

  • Gas engineers will carry out the gas tightness test.
  • If test points for the appliance are available, standing and working pressure will be checked.
  • Flue flow will be checked to make sure products of combustion are removed.
  • The gas safe engineer will inspect gas rate and burner pressure against the manufacturer’s data plate.
  • Checks will be carried out for the arrangement of all needed ventilation.
  • Investigations for any evidence of unsafe work will be made and reported.
  • All flame failure devices will be inspected for acceptable operation.
  • Where unique checks will be performed for the effectiveness of stability brackets, physical stability and presence.

Landlord’s responsibilities:

  • By law, under the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Laws 1998, it’s your duty to obtain a Gas Safety Certificate every 12 months.
  • The landlord is liable for serious charges and prosecution If they cannot satisfy the legal requirements for gas safety. If a tenant is hurt due to a failure on the landlord’s part to protect a right gas safety certificate then the criminal court can enforce large fines, while if a death occure as a result of landlord negligence through gas safety, the landlord can be charged with murder.
  • A majority of the UK insurance provider also specify that if there is not a present gas certificate for a rental property, then any building insurance policy that you hold for the property will be considered invalid. For these factors, it is crucial making sure that you hold a valid gas safety certificate for all your rental properties.
  •  A landlord must give a copy to all their existing tenants within 28 days of the inspection. If tenants change, landlord will have to provide a copy of the Gas Safety Certificate before new tenants move in.
  • By law you just need to carry out a check every 12 months; however, it is a good idea to get things checked in between tenants too. Then you’ll make sure your gas appliances are in tip-top condition before your new tenants move in.
  • Since the 1st October 2015 laws require a carbon monoxide alarm in areas with a solid fuel appliance and a smoke detector to be installed in rented residential accommodation. Changes are also made to the licence requirements in relation to places which are subject to selective licensing and as well as in relation to HMOs, such as bedsits and shared apartments which require a licence. The Regulations use both to houses and flats. Failure to meet can result in a civil charge being imposed of approximately £5,000. These requirements only apply in England; not Wales.
  • Since the 1st October 2013, it has been a legal requirement in Scotland to have a CO (Carbon Monoxide) alarm installed in the same room as a new or replacement fixed fuel source burning heating appliance – this includes gas appliances.
  • All Gas Engineers must notify all heat-producing gas appliances (boilers, fires and air heating units and so on) and related heater that they install and commission as a requirement of the Building Regulations in England and Wales, verifying that the work carried out with all aspects of the Building Regulations.

Landlord’s Gas Safety certificate or record includes, but not limited to:

  • Name, registration number and signature of the engineer who carried out the inspection.
  • A description and location of each gas appliance in the property.
  • Flue conditions.
  • Precise date on which the check was performed.
  • The address of the property where the appliances/flues are installed.
  • The name and address of the landlord (or their letting agent where applicable).
  • Any safety problem identified and any action needed or taken to rectify it.
  • Verification of the outcomes of the operational safety checks performed on the gas appliances.
  • Next inspection date.
  • Basically, It will include information exactly what checks the engineer has carried out and if the appliances inspected meet the suitable safety standards.

We hope this article helped you learn what a landlord’s gas safety certificate or record is.

How much does a gas safety certificate cost?

Gas safety certificate cost:

Although gas inspection is an important part of the property manager or landlord safety procedures, it is very tough to determine exactly how much your gas safety certificate will cost as costs vary from borough to borough depending on how much competition there is for engineers in the area.

Gas safety certificate cost also depends on many factors, including the type of gas appliances in the property, the brand of the gas appliances, and the location of the property in question. An overall assessment of prices online recommends that people can expect to spend a minimum of £45 for one gas appliance, at least, £10 for any additional appliance, and, at least, £5 for the issuance of the certificate– plus VAT at 20 %.

As the Landlord, you are responsible for the safety of your property and tenants. As such it is essential to ensure that gas appliances are safe to use. Almost all properties in the UK have gas appliances ranging from the boiler, hob or a fireplace, needs that the Gas safety standards are met. At Cenultra, all engineers are qualified, they check the property and supply a Gas Safety Certificate and advise if any improvements are needed.

Gas Safe Register is only the legally recognized body since the 1st of April 2009. The Gas Safety certificates last for a year from the date they are issued.

The gas safety certificate informs you that the gas appliance or pipework carried out is working safely and fulfills the appropriate safety standards. Gas Certificate also advised when the next Gas Safety assessment has to be carried out.

Things you need to know as a Landlord:

  • It is a statutory obligation to have a gas safety certificate, making sure your tenants are protected from unsafe gas appliances, which could lead to fires or carbon monoxide gas poisoning.
  • Whilst a gas safety inspection only provides a snapshot of that moment in time; it will often discover the small problems before they develop into anything significant, not only keeping your tenants safe but saving you money on repair bills.
  • You should plan ahead for renewing your gas safety record, and if it does come to your attention that your old gas safety record has expired, you should look for a registered gas engineer to inspect your gas appliances as soon as possible.
  • While some tenants may like to call you about everything but others are not so great at reporting problems, so by having an up to date gas safety certificates, you are doing your bit to keep both your tenants and your rental property safe.
  • The Gas Safety Record is produced every 12 months, for that reason you have to have a Gas Safety Check done annually. If new tenants move in while the record is still in effect, carrying a Gas Safety Check is NOT essential unless if you have done a gas work or installed a new gas appliance. You are supposed to hold the original copy for yourself and give the occupants with a copy of the report within 28 days of the Gas Safety checks.
  • If the tenants leave and the new one move in, providing them with a copy of the gas safety records is a must. Gas Safety Certificates are provided for a single property just if you own many properties you should get a Gas Safety Record for each one of them.
  • Your agreement with your tenants should be written in a way that allows you access to carry out maintenance or safety check. If the tenant refuses to allow access, ensure that you put in writing through recorded delivery your interests to come and perform this test so that you have a record that you have taken all sensible steps to get the gas safety check carried out.

As we said, The cost will vary depending on the appliances and the location of the property. Cenultra offers a low-cost Gas Safety Certificate and Boiler Service each year and make sure that you regularly hold a valid Gas Certificate. Simply call us to know our current gas safety certificate cost.

The Tests Involved In Obtaining A Gas Safety Certificate

While many landlords are aware that they need to obtain a gas safety certificate, they are not always aware what the tests involved with earning the certificate are.
One of the tests for a gas safety certificate will be to test your gas appliances with respect to gas tightness. This is a very important test because any looseness or slackness in your gas appliances could see gas escape into your home. This is a serious danger, and it is one that can come about completely unseen, making it a very serious threat to your home or tenants. It is a simple test that doesn’t take a lot of time but it is a test that can save lives and it is an integral component of any gas safety certificate test.
If there are any test points available in your property, these will also be tested by the registered gas engineer. The key points being tested will be the standing pressure and the working pressure. If there are any abnormalities in this aspect, it may be that there is a leak or something not quite right with your gas appliances. This test can help to minimise the likelihood of any dangers or issues with your gas supply.gas-burner-safety-certificate

Gas rates and burner pressure will be tested
An important test comes with checking the gas rate and burner pressure against the information recorded in the manufacturers data plate. Again, any abnormalities or deviances from the stated figures may indicate that something is not right, and which has to be resolved. Even if issues are flagged up during the testing process, it doesn’t mean that you cannot get a gas safety certificate, it just means that you have to have the matters repaired and resolved.
Given that you have a registered gas engineer in place at your property, you’ll find that you will be able to call on their services to carry out repair work. At Cenultra, we can provide registered gas engineers to carry out the test but we can also ensure that any issues or problems are resolved as quickly as possible. While the main aim of hiring a registered gas engineer to test your appliances and gas supply is to obtain the necessary certificate, if problems are found, it is best to have them resolved as quickly as possible.

Other aspects that will be examined during the test include:
– A check on ventilation in the property
– A check on the flue flow to ensure that any products of combustion are removed
– That all flame failure devices will be examined to ensure that they are working in a satisfactory manner
– If appropriate, all stability brackets will be tested for effectiveness and presence

There will also be checks to determine if any unsafe operation has been undertaken in the property, and if there has been, it can be reported. This can be seen as a preventative measure, minimising the likelihood of problems arising in the future. It may be that a tenant doesn’t know that they are acting in an unsafe manner or that a landlord is unaware of this sort of activity taking place. The test is there to highlight and point out these aspects and if any dangerous behaviour is taking place, bringing it to the attention of relevant parties will hopefully prevent it from becoming an issue in the future.

These tests need to be passed to earn a safety certificate
All of these tests form part of the gas safety certificate, and without the successful completion of all of these steps, a safety certificate will not be issued. Given that this is a legal requirement, there is a need to ensure that your property is considered to be safe and up to standard with respect to gas.
It is easy to see why many landlords will be unhappy about the cost and inconvenience of arranging the test, but in the long run, this is a certificate that is very important to have. The peace of mind that comes from knowing your property is safe and being well looked after should be of comfort to a landlord and his tenants.
At Cenultra, we believe that we can provide a value for money gas certificate that provides you with everything you need at a fair price. We have a dedicated team who focus on providing the best standard of property maintenance and whether you need assistance in maintaining the condition of your home or meeting legal requirements, we are on hand to help you out.